Connect with us

Economy & Development

Jharkhand mining sector faces pressure after High Court order

Published

on

Jharkhand mining sector faces pressure after High Court order

Jharkhand’s stone mining and crusher industry is facing fresh regulatory pressure after recent High Court directions tightened compliance requirements around forest land, river zones and environmental approvals.

Industry bodies have claimed that a large number of mining and crusher units in the state could be affected if earlier distance norms around forest areas are enforced widely. They have also warned of possible impact on employment and state revenue.

The developments follow a May 7, 2026 order of the Jharkhand High Court in a public interest litigation concerning alleged illegal stone mining and non-compliant crusher units around Village Tepsa, the Ichak region and the Siwane River area in Hazaribagh district.

A division bench of Chief Justice M.S. Sonak and Justice Rajesh Shankar directed that no mining activity or stone crusher operation should be carried out in the identified areas until the District Level Task Force verifies all statutory permissions and compliance requirements.

The court said material on record, including an independent report submitted by the Secretary, District Legal Services Authority, Hazaribagh, showed illegal mining activity and operation of non-compliant crusher units in Village Tepsa and surrounding areas.

The bench observed that such activities had caused environmental degradation, including damage to cultivable land, disruption of the ecological balance of the Siwane River and hazardous conditions endangering human life.

Industry raises concern

Mining and crusher industry representatives said the court’s directions may affect even units that obtained licences under the regulatory framework followed after 2015.

C.P. Sinha, president of the Jharkhand State Stone Industry Association, said, “This is a matter of concern for us. There are more than 4,000 crusher and mining units in Jharkhand. The government receives substantial revenue from them. The court order has created a crisis. We will meet the Chief Minister and request reconsideration. We are not at fault.”

Pankaj Singh, secretary of the association, said, “We obtained licences according to the rules, and now they are being cancelled. This will affect our mining and crusher industry. There is no fault on our part. We worked legally. Units operating after 2015 are facing a major problem. Where will thousands of people go if they suddenly become unemployed? The government should intervene.”

Chamber president Aditya Malhotra also said the matter would be taken up with the Chief Minister as it concerns the livelihood of thousands of people.

Court flags regulatory failure

The High Court criticised the district administration, mining department, police and Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board for failing to act in a coordinated and effective manner.

The court noted that while FIRs had been registered in several cases, authorities had not placed material showing that these had resulted in prosecutions, trials or statutory complaints under the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957.

It also questioned why mining authorities had not used recovery and confiscation provisions under mining laws despite seizure of vehicles and equipment in some cases.

Compliance review within 8 weeks

The court directed the District Level Task Force, Hazaribagh, chaired by the Deputy Commissioner, to review all permissions granted to stone crushers and mining operators in Village Tepsa, the Ichak region and the Siwane River area.

The review must cover environmental clearances, Consent to Establish, Consent to Operate, explosive licences, blasting permissions and mineral dealer registrations.

The task force has been asked to give the petitioner or authorised representative a personal hearing and issue a reasoned decision within 8 weeks of the judgment.

Until this exercise is completed and all permissions are verified as valid, no mining activity or stone crusher operation can resume in the identified areas. Any resumption will require specific clearance from the task force.

Pollution board told to act

The Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board has been directed to initiate proceedings within 4 weeks against non-compliant or unauthorised units under the Environment Protection Act, Air Act and Water Act.

The board must also take steps to close units operating without valid consent, including disconnection of electricity where required.

Applying the “Polluter Pays” principle, the court directed the board to assess and impose environmental compensation within 12 weeks for damage caused to cultivable land and the Siwane River ecosystem.

Forest buffer restrictions

The High Court clarified that Village Tepsa was not shown as part of the notified eco-sensitive zone under the 2019 Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change notification. However, it said the absence of such classification did not permit ecological destruction.

The court reiterated that no mining or stone crusher activity can be allowed within a 1 km buffer from the boundary of Hazaribagh Wildlife Sanctuary. If any larger eco-sensitive or buffer zone applies under law, the larger restriction will prevail.

It also reiterated earlier directions restricting Consent to Establish and Consent to Operate within 500 metres of forest boundaries for stone mining and within 400 metres for stone crushers.

Wider impact

Jharkhand’s construction, road, housing and infrastructure sectors depend heavily on stone aggregates and sand. Any prolonged disruption in mining and crusher operations could affect material supply, construction costs, transporters and local labour markets.

However, the actual impact will depend on how many units are found to have valid environmental approvals, pollution control permissions, mining licences, explosive licences and other statutory documents.

For the state government, the immediate challenge is to carry out a transparent compliance review that distinguishes lawful operators from illegal or non-compliant units, while addressing environmental damage and livelihood concerns.

Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

  1. mdoxgeupmd

    May 21, 2026 3:32 pm at 3:32 pm

    ungqzqkzuxpgxdlkzmvpxijmrsqrvw

  2. idshidfzsd

    May 21, 2026 3:32 pm at 3:32 pm

    muhovzinpednjeysxmpneqjqppwioi

  3. zjzyznxelz

    May 21, 2026 3:32 pm at 3:32 pm

    phepvijptfemdzewwuhizuldpjqqth

  4. krxpxzeqgx

    May 21, 2026 3:32 pm at 3:32 pm

    sehnrouxpogmiufjoimdfxgjtnhdqp

  5. glrkhvmmsj

    May 21, 2026 3:33 pm at 3:33 pm

    xujtynzgvnmlgrfrgknuxfrjpvpmkg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *